FANCY 3 CHEESE MACARONI WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS & BACON!!!
- 4 cups of partially cooked macaroni (don't cook all the way) (I used gluten free pasta-worked like a charm)
- 8 Tablespoons salted Butter
- 2 whole Medium Onions, Cut In Half And Sliced Thin
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- ½ cup Half-and-half
- 2 whole Egg Yolks, Beaten
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- ½ cup Grated Gruyere Cheese
- ½ cup Grated Fontina Cheese
- ½ cup Pecorino Romano Cheese
- 3 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled for garnish
- 1 chopped scallion, garnish
- Preparation Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet and then saute onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown and soft. Set aside.
- In a pot, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle in corn starch and whisk to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 1 minute. Pour in milk and half & half, then cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until thick. Reduce heat to low. Add generous salt & pepper to taste.
- Beat egg yolks and drizzle ¼ cup hot mixture into the yolks, stirring constantly. Stir to combine. Pour egg mixture into sauce and cook for another minute.
- Add cheeses and stir until melted. Add onions and stir. Taste for seasonings and add more salt if needed. Add cooked macaroni and stir to coat.
- Pour into a baking dish and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until sizzling and hot. Sprinkle with bacon and scallions.
- Recipe adapted from Pioneer Woman