Apple Pie With Sour Cream Crust
- 2 Crusts (top and bottom):
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 20 tablespoons butter, frozen
- 1 cup sour cream, plus an additional tablespoon or three if needed
- 5 CUPS SLICED & PEELED APPLES (I used Honeycrisp & Gingergold) (approx6-7)
- 1 C. LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
- 6 TABLESPOONS CORNSTARCH
- 1 TSP. CINNAMON
- ¼ TSP. SALT
- 1 TABLESPOON DICED BUTTER
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and sugar.
- With the large holes of a box grater, grate the butter into the dry ingredients.
- With a fork, toss the butter and flour mixture until the butter pieces are all evenly coated with flour.
- Add sour cream to the bowl.
- Mix it into the butter and flour as you press down the fork making large clumps.
- After a little mixing, use your hands to pull dough together. May be a bit shaggy but keep pressing it and it will form a ball. If dry, add drop more sour cream. Divide into balls.
- Roll one out on a floured surface and lay into your pie pan.
- Trim the edges to within ¼-inch. Chill 30 minutes.
- Add filling:
- Mix first five ingredients and pile into bottom crust.
- Dot with the butter.
- Roll out top crust and place on pie.
- Crimp and flute edges.
- Brush with egg wash (1 egg beaten)
- Sprinkle with sugar and cut a few slits in crust.
- Bake at 425 for 20 minutes.
- Then, lower oven to 350 and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Pie crust adapted from Mels Kitchen Cafe