This is the absolute best brisket ever!! Cooked for hours and hours it just gets softer and softer until you can shred it. We love this in tacos and on toasted buns with melted cheese!
Slow Cooker Garlic Brisket and Onions
The mushrooms aren’t pictured in this photo but I always add them now. Even if you dislike mushrooms they flavor the sauce nicely!!!
I love my crockpot because you can cook the onions/mushrooms right in it and also sear the meat. If yours doesn’t have this option, just do the browning in a skillet.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small container mushrooms
- 4 pounds beef brisket, center cut
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Tamari (Or you can use soy sauce)
- Heat the oil in a skillet and cook the onions and mushrooms on medium/low for about 5-10 minutes.
- Season the brisket well with salt/pepper.
- In a large skillet, sear the brisket on both sides to make a brown crust.
- Place in slow cooker, fatty side up.
- Spread the garlic all over the top.
- Pile the onions and mushrooms on top of the meat.
- Combine broth, Worcestershire sauce, and Tamari.
- Pour this over the meat.
- Cook on high 4 hours and low 8 hours. Can even do the 4 hours at night then refrigerate and continue the next day with the 8 hours.
- Slice against the grain and it should fall apart. Mmmm!
Adapted from the Kitchn
Leftovers are fabulous served on toasted buns with melted cheese and red onion!