Brownie Strawberry Shortcake
- 2½ sticks, or 10 ounces, butter
- 20 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Hot fudge sauce
- whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 400º.
- Spray the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan with non-stick cooking spray or cooking spray with flour.
- Line the bottom with a round of parchment and grease the top.
- Wrap the sides in 2 layers of aluminum foil and then place in a roasting pan and set aside.
- As an alternative, you can place your pan in a cheesecake moat which I love!!
- Melt the chocolate and the butter until smooth.
- Add vanilla.
- Crack eggs into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high speed until light and tripled in volume, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add ¼ of the whipped eggs to the chocolate mixture.
- Fold in the eggs thoroughly to lighten the chocolate mixture.
- Gently fold the remaining eggs into the chocolate mixture.
- Transfer immediately to the prepared springform pan.
- Pour hot water into the roasting pan until it reaches halfway up the sides of the springform.
- Bake for 17-18 minutes; the center will be jiggly when removed from the oven. Remove from the water bath and cool to room temperature. Remove the foil. Run a knife around the perimeter of the pan.
- Put heavy cream and semisweet chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave for about 1 minute.
- Whisk smooth and cool to room temp.
- Pour the glaze over the torte (while it's still in the springform pan), then chill the torte in the refrigerator until firm, 6 to 8 hours.
- To serve the cake, again run a knife around the perimeter of the cake. Remove sides of the pan. Slice with a hot, dry knife. Serve with hot fudge, fresh strawberry slices and fresh whipped cream!
Cake adapted from my friend Liz at That Skinny Chick Can Bake