2 sticks salted butter, at room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
20 ounces Kraft Caramels, unwrapped of course! (about 1 1/2 bags)
18 ounces milk chocolate, melted (I used
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening (optional) – I did not need this-Hershey’s melted perfectly
Directions1) FOR THE CRUST: Preheat your oven to 300°F. Line 9″ x 13″ pan with nonstick foil
2) In a bowl, beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add the flour. Mix till it comes together.
3) Press it evenly into the pan. Lightly flouring your fingertips will help with any sticking.
4) Prick the crust all over with a fork.
5) Bake 35-45 mins until the crust is lightly golden brown on top and the edges are deeper golden brown. Remove from the oven and immediately run a knife around the edges to loosen the crust. Set it aside to cool completely.
6) FOR THE CARAMEL LAYER: Melt the caramel and cream over low heat in a small saucepan. Pour the caramel over the cooled crust and set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill and firm up.
Melt the chocolate slowly in the microwave and pour evenly over the chilled caramel layer and spread to coverall of the caramel. Return to the fridge until the chocolate is well set. Before cutting, let sit at room temp for 30-60 mins. Cut into bars or squares. It’s best to store these bars in the refrigerator but take out a few mins before serving to soften.