TWIX BARS....THE VERSION THAT WON THE TASTE TEST!
For the Shortbread Layer:
- ⅓ cup SOFT butter plus 1 extra tablespoon
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 10 ounces Kraft caramels
- 1 T. heavy cream
- 9 ounces milk chocolate chips or 6 Hershey Bars
- Blend all in the mixer. Will be crumbly. Pat firmly into an 8x8 pan lined with nonstick foil. Bake at 350 for about 18 minutes until lightly browned. Cool.
- Microwave cream and caramels until smooth
- Pour over cooled crust and chill 30 minutes.
- Melt gently in microwave and spread over caramel layer.
- Let the bars come to room temp for an hour before cutting or they will crumble!
- Store in fridge.
THIS WEEK I MADE 4 VERSIONS OF MY TWIX BARS! WHY? WELL, BEING A BIT OF A PERFECTIONIST I WAS TRYING TO FIND THE RECIPE WITH THE LEAST BIT OF SHORTBREAD CRUMBLE WHEN CUTTING THE BARS. INEVITABLY, A SHORTBREAD CRUST IS GOING TO HAVE SOME AMOUNT OF “CRUMBLE” BUT THIS IS THE RECIPE THAT HAD THE LEAST CRUMBLE! ALL 4 VERSIONS WERE STILL DELICIOUS. I MEAN THEY ARE HOMEMADE TWIX BARS…HOW BAD CAN THEY BE!!!??!!! HERE IS MY WINNING RECIPE!!!