This is quite a fancy little bar here. It starts with a shortbread crust and then gets topped with a decadent homemade caramel. It gets finished off with a smooth layer of dark chocolate and a sprinkle of coarse sea salt. These are definitely worthy of any special occasion.
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons salted butter melted
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup corn syrup
- 8 tablespoons salted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate 6 ounces chopped fine, 2 ounces grated
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 9x13 with nonstick foil hanging over sides.
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in medium bowl.
- Add melted butter and stir with rubber spatula until flour is evenly moistened.
- Crumble dough evenly over bottom of prepared pan. Using your fingertips and palm of your hand, press and smooth dough into even thickness. Using a fork, pierce dough at 1-inch intervals.
- Bake until light golden brown approx 25 mins. Cool 20 mins while you make the caramel.
- Stir all ingredients together in large, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture registers between 236 and 239 degrees, 16 to 20 minutes. Be patient and keep stirring!!!
- Pour over crust and spread evenly.Let cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Microwave chopped chocolate in bowl at 50 percent power, stirring every 15 seconds, until melted. Add grated chocolate and stir until smooth.Only return for 5 seconds at a time if needed to melt more.
- Spread chocolate evenly over surface of filling. Add a sprinkle of sea salt. Refrigerate shortbread until chocolate is just set, about 10 minutes.
- Remove using foil to transfer onto a cutting bar. Use a hot, dry knife to cut bars.
Recipe adapted from ATK