Apple crisp has the best topping. Apple pie has the best crust. Why not have the best of BOTH worlds with this Dutch Apple Crumb Pie!! It starts with my no-roll crust…can you say EASY? Then it is mounded full of delicious, juicy apples. It gets topped with LOADS of buttery crumb topping. It is as heavenly as it sounds! This delicious recipe comes from Liz at That Skinny Chick Can Bake. Today we feature our Two Sweetie Pies recipe! Each month we choose one recipe to bake from the other’s blog. I must say, every month that I bake from Liz’s blog is a WINNER!!! This month was equally as wonderful! Top this Dutch Apple Pie with some vanilla ice cream and/or whipped cream and enter dessert paradise!!!
Visit Liz on:
- 3 pounds apples, I used honeycrisp: peeled, cored, sliced
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pastry dough for 1 layer pie crust (your favorite recipe or pre-made crust)
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, cool, not cold
- Roll out pie dough and fit into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Place in refrigerator while preparing the filling.
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Toss apple with sugar, lemon juice & cinnamon.
- Cut butter into flour and sugars.
- Pinch with fingers to form large crumbs.
- Fill crust with apples.
- Sprinkle topping over top of apples.
- Place a baking sheet under the rack where the pie will bake to catch any drippings.
- Bake for 40 minutes then reduce to 350º for 50 minutes or until bubbling.
- Cover crust with foil if browning too quickly.
- Cool before slicing.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream.