This is a fabulous homemade white queso! We ate it straight from the pan, hot and delish! You can also transfer to a crockpot to keep it hot! I have also experimented with the cheeses used in this queso. Our last batch was made with 8 ounces Monterey Jack, 4 ounces Fontina and 4 ounces white cheddar. Just be sure to whisk the cheese in very well in small batches. It is worth the whisking effort!
- ¾ lb good quality white american cheese (from the deli-NOT preshredded, chop it yourself from the block.)
- 4 ounces high quality fontina or mozzarella cheese, shredded (do not buy preshredded)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons jarred jalapenos, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- tomatoes, and jalapenos for garnish
- Heat half and half on medium high in a saucepan.
- Once it starts to simmer, lower to low heat.
- Stir in the cheese in batches.
- Raise heat to medium and whisk constantly.
- Add the cheese slowly and stir each batch until well blended.
- Once creamy, add jalapenos, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Top with more jalapenos and tomatoes.
Adapted from Cookie Rookie-check out her blog for other fabulous recipes!