Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 2-3 pounds chicken breast, cubed
- 3 scallions, chopped (reserve a little for garnish)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce (divided) (I use gluten free tamari)
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- About ⅓ cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 to 6 cups broccoli, trimmed sliced stalks and medium florets (keep the 2 cuts separate)
- 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- Toss the chicken with the scallions, soy sauce, sugar, 1 teaspoon of the cornstarch, 1 teaspoon of the salt and the sesame oil. Marinate at room temp 15 minutes.
- Mix the remaining cornstarch with ⅓ cup water to make a slurry.
- Heat a large nonstick pot/wok or skillet over high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and heat.
- Add the broccoli and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add garlic.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water and sprinkle on ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Stir-fry until the broccoli is bright green but still crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Get the skillet hot again and then heat 2 more tablespoons oil.
- Add the chicken and stir-fry until the chicken gets a bit brown, 3 mins.
- Add the hoisin sauce and return the broccoli to the pan.
- Add slurry and bring to a boil.
- If too thick, add a bit more water.
- Taste and add salt if needed.
- Serve over rice with scallions to garnish.