Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese
I have been through a few mac and cheese recipes before getting the approval of my 6 year old. He is the mac and cheese connoisseur and he gave this recipe his stamp of approval. It is VERY important that you grate the cheese yourself. Pre-grated bagged cheeses did not yield the same results. Trust me, I tried. I wanted them to work because they were one less step but the grating it turns out, is worth the effort!! This stovetop macaroni and cheese can easily be made on a weeknight. For an extra layer of yumminess, crisp up some bacon, chop it and sprinkle over the mac and cheese when serving it. Some added scallions would be yummy, too!
The picture above was taken by my 9 year old! He likes to use that camera of mine, too! Pretty good shot, too of our stovetop macaroni and cheese!
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (not in a bag)
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add salt/pepper.
- Slowly pour in milk and cook until bubbly.
- Whisk in cheese a little at a time.
- Drain the macaroni and add to the sauce.
- Stir and serve.
- (Add crispy, chopped bacon if desired!)
Adapted from Food.com