Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese
I have been through a few mac and cheese recipes before getting the approval of my 6 year old. He is the mac and cheese connoisseur and he gave this recipe his stamp of approval. It is VERY important that you grate the cheese yourself. Pre-grated bagged cheeses did not yield the same results. Trust me, I tried. I wanted them to work because they were one less step but the grating it turns out, is worth the effort!! This stovetop macaroni and cheese can easily be made on a weeknight. For an extra layer of yumminess, crisp up some bacon, chop it and sprinkle over the mac and cheese when serving it. Some added scallions would be yummy, too!
*2020 Update-my 6 year old is now 10 and LOVED this recipe again today! Yay!!!!
The picture above was taken by my 9 year old! He likes to use that camera of mine, too! Pretty good shot, too of our stovetop macaroni and cheese!
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (not in a bag)
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add salt/pepper.
- Slowly pour in milk and cook until bubbly.
- Whisk in cheese a little at a time.
- Drain the macaroni and add to the sauce.
- Stir and serve.
- (Add crispy, chopped bacon if desired!)
Adapted from Food.com