I always thought it would be tough to beat sweet potatoes with marshmallows until I read this recipe from Damaris Phillips. I have 5 words for you…mascarpone cheese and caramel sauce! That’s what makes these potatoes far superior to any others on the Thanksgiving table. These are definitely a bit extravagant but why not indulge this fall?! This Sweet Potato Marshmallow Casserole is certainly worth it!
- 5 sweet potatoes (9 ounces each)
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- 3 T. light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon plus ⅛ kosher salt
- ¼ cup caramel sauce
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fork the skins of the potatoes and roast 1 hour till soft.
- When cool enough, slice in half and scoop flesh into mixer.
- Beat it with the mascarpone, brown sugar, cinnamon and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Once combined pour in pie dish and drizzle caramel on top.
- Clean the mixer and with whisk beat egg whites, cream of tartar and ⅛ teaspoon salt on medium speed until foamy. Increase to high and gradually add sugar until stiff peaks-4 mins.
- Spoon over potato and smooth our with offset spatula!
- Bake 25-30 mins.
Adapted from Damaris Phillips