This Rolo Caramel Chocolate Cake is divine! The chocolate layers are moist and delicious! The frosting is outrageous and the salted caramel is heavenly! Combine them all and yo have a recipe for a heavenly cake!
Rolo Caramel Chocolate Cake
I used homemade caramel for this recipe. Click here for that recipe or you can use a jarred caramel in a pinch!
You may need:
- ¾ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons soft butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup very warm water
- Rolo candies
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spray 3 8-inch round baking pans with pam, line bottoms with parchment paper, grease again and set aside.
- In small bowl combine cocoa and boiling water with a whisk until smooth. Cool.
- In medium bowl stir together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time and vanilla.
- Slowly add the cocoa mix.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mix, then the milk. Then ⅓ of flour and the sour cream. Then, add the past of the flour.
- Mix well and divide into the pans.
- Bake 28-30 mins until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and pop out of pans. Remove parchment.
- Freeze until firm.
- Mix all on low to combine.
- Beat on med-high 2 mins.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Spread a thin layer of caramel on the bottom layer, top with frosting. Add second cake and a thinglayer of caramel with more frosting. Add 3rd layer and frost entire cake. Spread caramel on top, drip down the sides and top with rolo candies!
- Top with rolos and more salted caramel.
frosting adapted from Cookies and Cups
Cakes adapted from OMG Chocolate Desserts