Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Love Panera’s broccoli cheddar soup? Me too! You must try this. This one is even better because it’s homemade. Be sure to choose a high quality cheddar cheese. I chose white cheddar and grated it myself. Although the pre-shredded cheeses seem more convenient, shredding your own cheese will produce a higher quality soup so it is worth the extra few minutes!
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 medium chopped onion
- ¼ cup flour (I used Cup4Cup gluten free flour)
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chicken stock (Optional: 2 more cups broth if to thick for your preference)
- 2 cups fresh broccoli, chopped in chunks
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 7 ounces grated Kerry Gold cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in pot.
- Add onions and cook a few minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in flour and whisk well for a few minutes.
- Add broth and cream and bring to a simmer.
- Cook covered 25 minutes.
- Add broccoli and carrots and simmer another 20 minutes.
- Add salt/pepper generously to taste.
- Add cheese and stir in until melted.
- At this point, you can add more broth if you'd like to think it out.
- Optional: puree soup if you want it smooth. I left it with the broccoli chunks.
Adapted from The Recipe Critic