Buttermilk Doughnuts With Vanilla Glaze
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly brown and cooled
- vegetable oil for frying
- For the Vanilla Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- a few tablespoons of milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Line one baking sheet with parchment paper and another baking sheet with two layers of paper towels.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, and sour cream until combined.
- Add the melted, cooled butter and whisk again.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the liquid ingredients into the well.
- With a rubber spatula, slowly fold the flour into the liquid until the mixture forms a sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface lightly dusted with flour.
- Sprinkle the top of the dough with flour and pat out until it is about ½ inch thick.
- Use two round cutters (3¼ inch and 1½ inch) and dip the large cutter in flour and press out rounds.
- Dip the smaller cutter in the flour and cut out the center of each dough round.
- Reroll the scraps and make more doughnuts.
- Pour enough oil into a deep skillet to make a 1- 1½ inch layer of oil.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat, until the temperature reaches 365-370F.
- Fry 3 doughnuts at a time about 2-3 mins on each side and remove to the paper towels.
- Make the vanilla glaze:
- In a bowl, whisk the sugar as you slowly add milk and vanilla extract. Add enough milk to make a nice flowy glaze for dipping.
- Dip tops of each doughnut in the glaze and add sprinkles!
Adapted from Shutter Bean