Ever have a hot scone with your dinner? You have to try these. They combine cheddar cheese, dill and lots of bacon! A real hit warm out of the oven!
You can look for a scone pan HERE!
Cheesy Bacon Bread
- 4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ pound cold unsalted butter diced
- 4 extra-large eggs beaten lightly
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- ½ pound extra-sharp yellow cheddar cheese small-diced
- 1 cup minced fresh dill
- 4 slices bacon cooked crisp and chopped
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water or milk for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine 4 cups of flour, the baking powder, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is in pea-sized pieces.
- Mix the eggs and heavy cream and quickly add them to the flour-and-butter mixture.
- Combine until just blended.
- Toss together the cheddar, dill, bacon and 1 tablespoon of flour and add them to the dough.
- Mix until they are almost incorporated.
- Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead it for 1 minute, until the cheddar and dill are well distributed.
- Roll the dough 3/4-inch thick.
- Cut into 4-inch squares and then in half diagonally to make triangles. (Or you can just use a scone pan if you have one!)
- Brush the tops with egg wash.
- Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for 20 to 25 minutes, until the outside is crusty and the inside is fully baked.
- Adapted from Ina Garten