Love casseroles? Lie a one dish wonder and voila! Dinner is ready….and yummy, too!
Cheesy bacon, chicken and Spaghetti Casserole
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 C onion, diced
- 3 Tablespoons flour ( I used gluten free Cup4Cup flour)
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 C chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1 pound spaghetti (I used gluten free)
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Cook bacon until crisp, remove from pan and chop up for later. Drain off all but 2 tbsp of the fat. Heat pan to medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken in the bacon fat until well browned. You don’t have to cook the chicken through. Remove chicken from pan and place in casserole dish.
- Drain off the bacon fat from the pan and add 3 tbsp of butter. Once melted stir in the onion. Cook until soft and starting to caramelize- 5-7 minutes.
- Stir 3 tbsp of flour into the onions & cook for 1 minute.
- Stir broth and cream into the flour mixture, bring to boil -constantly stirring- for a few minutes to reduce a bit. Remove from heat.
- Stir in salt, pepper, cheese and pour over the chicken in the casserole dish. Bake, uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is baking, cook 1 lb spaghetti and drain.
- Remove chicken from the oven, stir pasta into the sauce and serve topped with crumbled bacon and scallions.
Adapted from Heather Likes Food