This is a simple, old fashioned mac and cheese. My kids enjoyed it even more since I used orecchiette. Of course, you can use elbow macaroni or even shells. You can control how cheesy this dish is by how much cheese you add on top before it goes in the oven. Good-bye boxed mac and cheese, hellllooooo homemade!
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese plus a little extra to sprinkle on top depending how cheesy you want it
- 2 cups cooked orecchiette Or you can use elbows/shells
- Melt butter in a deep skillet over low.
- Whisk in flour and cook for two minutes.
- Gradually add milk and raise heat to bring mixture to a boil. Stir constantly.
- Once it boils, lower to a simmer for 5 minutes to thicken it.
- Whisk in cheese and once smooth add the pasta.
- Pour into a greased casserole dish.
- Sprinkle on extra cheese if desired and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.