Coq au Vin
- 3 lb chicken parts
- 1 Avacado oil or EVOO
- 3 T unsalted butter, divided
- 4 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only), finely chopped (2 cups)
- 2 T finely chopped garlic
- 4 medium carrots, halved diagonally
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- chopped scallions
- Pat chicken dry and sprinkle with 1 t salt and a rounded 3/4 t pepper. Heat oil with 1 T butter in a wide 3 1/2 – 5 quart heavy ovenproof pot over medium-high heat until foam subsides, then brown chicken in 2 batches, turning once, about 10 minutes per batch. Transfer to a plate.
- Add leeks, garlic, and 1/4 t salt in the remaining 2 T butter, covered, over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until leeks are pale and golden, 5-7 minutes. Add chicken, skin sides up (with juices from plate), carrots and wine and boil until liquid is reduced by half, 3-4 minutes.
- Cover pot and lower to a slow simmer. Cook covered 2-3 hours.
- Stir heavy cream into chicken mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Top with chopped scallions.
Leave a Reply