Remember those delicious Nestle Drumstick Ice Cream Cones? This cake is a play on that cone…just bigger and better with the same great flavors! It starts with a rich 3 layer chocolate cake filled with irresistible vanilla frosting. Chocolate ganache runs down the side and peanut butter rosettes stand tall on top. Of course, it wouldn’t be a drumstick cake without the traditional chocolate dipped peanut cone on top!
You May Need:
- ¾ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons soft butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups butter
- 1 ½ cups shortening
- 9 cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ T. vanilla
- 7-8 T. milk
- one sugar cone dipped in melted chocolate and sprinkled with chopped peanuts
- peanut butter for piping
- 1 cup chopped peanuts roasted/salted
- 9 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spray 3 8-inch round baking pans with pam, line bottoms with parchment paper, grease again and set aside.
- In small bowl combine cocoa and boiling water with a whisk until smooth. Cool.
- In medium bowl stir together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time and vanilla.
- Slowly add the cocoa mix.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mix, then the milk. Then ⅓ of flour and the sour cream. Then, add the past of the flour.
- Mix well and divide into the pans.
- Bake 28-30 mins until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and pop out of pans. Remove parchment . (cool and at this point you can freeze)
- Beat all gradually on low to combine.
- Then increase mixer speed and whip till fluffy.
- Heat cream just to a boil.
- Pour over chips.
- Let sit one minute then stir smooth
- Spread frosting between cake layers.
- Use extra to frost outside of the cake.
- Decorate with the glaze by pouring it on sides to drizzle down and fill in entire top center.
- Pipe on peanut butter rosettes and garnish the cone and extra peanuts.
- **May need to make and extra half batch of frosting for decorating and final coat depending how much you use on your layers.
Frosting adapted from Life, Love and Sugar