Florentine Butter Chicken with Fresh Mozzarella, Burst Cherry Tomatoes and Crispy Shallots
This chicken Florentine dish is bathed in a delicious sauce of butter and some olive oil. I like to purchase my boneless skinless chicken breasts from a local market as they are clean and alway tender. You will coat them in flour along with salt and black pepper. This breading helps them fry up with a nice crisp coating over medium heat. I love cooking this in my cast iron skillets. After a quick simmer in the butter, you pop it in the oven on broil to allow the mozzarella to melt up. The edges will get a bit crispy making them irresistible! Another nice addition to this recipe is using shallots instead of onion. This recipe comes together in under 30 minutes making it perfect for a weeknight meal. I did not use any spinach in this recipe as typical “Florentine” dish may suggest, but I think it would be a fabulous addition to stir some in. I sprinkled chopped fresh parsley on top instead. Another chicken recipe you may love is Baby Bella Chicken Marsala made with mushrooms and chicken broth. I love to serve it over pasta with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese for the most flavor. Hand grating the cheese will give you the best results. You could also serve this over rice. This buttery sauce is so delicious that I think it would be great with salmon or shrimp, too. Possibly some oregano and basil, too. This really is an easy chicken Florentine recipe that I know you will love! Serve this up with a big green salad or even some cauliflower rice or potatoes. Grab a glass of white wine and you’ll feel transported to Italy.
You may need:
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ¼ c. flour
- 5 boneless skinless chicken cutlets
- kosher salt and pepper
- 6 tablespoons cold salted butter, cubed
- ¼c. olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 large shallot, sliced into rings
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed
- ½ fresh lemon
- handful parsley, chopped
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place eggs in one dish and flour in another for dredging.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a large cast iron, heat 2 T. olive oil.
- When hot, add garlic, tomatoes, shallots, salt/pepper.
- Cook 5 mins and transfer to a bowl.
- Add 2 more T. oil to the skillet with 3 T. butter.
- Dip cutlets in egg, then flour, then into the hot skillet..
- Cook 4 mins to brown the bottom.
- Flip cutlets and add 3 more T. butter.
- Cook 4-5 mins basting the chicken with the butter.
- Top the cutlets with the tomato mixtures, nestle the mozzarella between the cutlets and broil just a few minutes (2-3) to melt the cheese.
- Remove and top with parsley.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the chicken and sauce.
Adapted from Half Baked Harvest