CARAMEL ROLO BARS
PREPARE HOMEMADE SALTED CARAMEL
For the BEST Homemade Caramel:
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice (I OMITTED THIS)
1/2 teaspoon salt, kosher or sea
1. Combine the sugar, water, and the corn syrup in a large saucepan and stir with a wooden spoon over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
2. Cover the saucepan and let it cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
3. After 3 minutes, remove the lid, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil.
4. Do not stir from this point on, but instead swirl the liquid around the pan so that the caramel doesn’t burn.
5. Continue to cook until the caramel turns an even amber color then remove from the heat and let stand for about 30 seconds.
6. *** Be careful here *** Pour the heavy cream into the mixture. The mixture will bubble up significantly and is very hot.
7. Stir the mixture, again being careful. Add the butter, lemon juice (IF USING), and salt. Stir until combined. COOL.
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
10-15 rolo candies
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with nonstick foil.
2. Beat together the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the egg. Then the vanilla. Beat, scraping the bowl, until thoroughly combined.
3. Add the dry ingredients. Mix well.
4. Spread some of the dough evenly into the bottom of the pan. Use offset spatula to help! be patient!! Pour on a layer of the homemade caramel.. I did not use the whole batch but probably 3/4 of it. Spread on the remaining dough carefully to cover the caramel best you can. Chop the rolos and scatter on top.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the surface springs back when gently pressed. Cool completely. Drizzle the top with melted chocolate if you’d like! Enjoy!