Homemade Soft Pretzels
- 2½ cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- coarse, kosher or pretzel salt, optional
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Mix all dough ingredients.
- Knead the dough in mixer or hand 5 mins.
- Once smooth, flour the dough and place in a ziploc 30 mins.
- While the dough rests, make topping by combining boiling water and baking soda.
- Stir to dissolve soda. Set aside to cool to lukewarm.
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased work are and divide into 8 equal pieces. (2½ ounces each)
- Let each piece rest 5 mins.
- Pour the baking soda/water into a 9" square pan.
- Roll each piece of dough into a long, thin rope and into a pretzel shape.
- Place 4 in the pan with the water/soda and spoon the mixture on top of them. Sit 2 minutes and move to the parchment paper. repeat with next 4.
- Sprinkle them lightly with kosher salt.
- Rest them 10 mins uncovered and bake 8-10 mins until golden.
- Remove the pretzels from the oven, and brush them thoroughly with all of the melted butter.
Leave a Reply