Make Ahead Christmas Gravy
What is on your Christmas menu? I bet at least one item that is screaming for gravy! This gravy is the best! It is made from chicken wings…doesn’t get easier than that!!! You can make it 5 days prior to your beautiful meal and not worry about it while roasting up a chicken or even a turkey! If you don’t love Rosemary, feel free to swap it for an herb you love. Playing around with the flavors is easy with this recipe! I hope you love this Make Ahead Christmas Gravy as much as we do! Rotisserie chickens will never be the same with this golden recipe in your pocket!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound chicken wings
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- A small handful of rosemary
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups broth
- 3 T. butter
- ¼ cup Wondra flour
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high.
- Cook the wings until golden brown-about 10 minutes turning a few times.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery until everything is deeply browned, 15 more mins.
- Add rosemary for a minute.
- Add wine.
- Bring to a boil and reduce wine by half, about 5 mins.
- Add stock and bring it up to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, stirring a few times occasionally.
- Reduce liquid by ⅓ for about 30-35 mins.
- Strain the stock (you should get 4 cups-if not add extra stock)
- Next, make roux:
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat, melt the butter.
- Whisk in wondra and cook while stirring 4 mins.
- Add in your stock slowly and whisking between each addition.
- Reduce while on a simmer to 3 cups-should take 10 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Adapted from Bon Appetit