Make Ahead Christmas Gravy
What is on your Christmas menu? I bet at least one item that is screaming for gravy! This gravy is the best! It is made from chicken wings…doesn’t get easier than that!!! You can make it 5 days prior to your beautiful meal and not worry about it while roasting up a chicken or even a turkey! If you don’t love Rosemary, feel free to swap it for an herb you love. Playing around with the flavors is easy with this recipe! I hope you love this Make Ahead Christmas Gravy as much as we do! Rotisserie chickens will never be the same with this golden recipe in your pocket!
Year Round Make Ahead Gravy
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound chicken wings
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- A small handful of rosemary
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups broth
- 3 T. butter
- ¼ cup Wondra flour
- Kosher salt freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high.
- Cook the wings until golden brown-about 10 minutes turning a few times.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery until everything is deeply browned, 15 more mins.
- Add rosemary for a minute.
- Add wine.
- Bring to a boil and reduce wine by half, about 5 mins.
- Add stock and bring it up to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, stirring a few times occasionally.
- Reduce liquid by 1/3 for about 30-35 mins.
- Strain the stock (you should get 4 cups-if not add extra stock)
- Next, make roux:
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat, melt the butter.
- Whisk in wondra and cook while stirring 4 mins.
- Add in your stock slowly and whisking between each addition.
- Reduce while on a simmer to 3 cups-should take 10 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Adapted from Bon Appetit