Good news! Even if you detest olives, you will love this sauce. It’s true, just ask my hubby!!! He would never eat an olive but loves this dish. The trick is to remove the olives before serving..unless you are like me and adore olives. Then, by all means, pile them onto your plate!!! Thisolive orange chicken is a winner!!!!
Olive Orange Chicken
1 package chicken thighs
cornstarch for dredging
1 cup chicken broth (homemade is best)
1 orange, half zested and all of it squeezed for its juice (I like to try different fancy kinds of oranges from Whole Foods)
1 onion, diced
1/2 cup olives
1 tablespoon heavy cream (optional)
- Dredge chicken thighs in cornstarch, season with salt/pepper and pan fry in batches to brown in a deep pot. Remove to plate.
- To the oil, add your onion and season with salt and pepper cooking a few mins.
- Add chicken broth to deglaze pan and orange juice, scraping up the yummy bits. Pour in the olives and again season with salt/pepper if needed. Return chicken to pot and cover for 30 mins on a simmer. Remove cover and cook 30 more minutes.
- Remove chicken and shred it off the bone.
- To the sauce, add the cream and then I like to run the sauce through a strainer. Pour sauce over the chicken and if using the olives, take them out of the strainer and place on top of the chicken.