I have made many quiches but not quite like this. This quiche is the King (Or Queen) of all quiches. The crust is so impressive looking that your guests will think you bought it. The crust not only looks wonderful but it tastes fabulous as well. It is totally tender, you will be very impressed, too! The filling for this quiche is super rich and the prosciutto adds the perfect salty bite! Whip up a nice arugula salad and you can even serve it right on top of the quiche! This would be an amazing lunch, dinner or addition to any brunch. This recipe comes from Pioneer Woman. If you love mushrooms you can add them like she did. I opted for extra leeks and skipped the mushrooms because my hubby doesn’t like them. Go figure! I also loved freezing the second crust. The second time I made this for my parents was even easier because I only had to prepare the filling! Enjoy!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup cold salted butter, cut into chunks
- ¾ cup crisco, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 5 T. cold water
- 2 leeks, tops and bottoms trimmed, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups grated Italian mix cheese
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon pesto (Store bought is fine)
- 8 thin slices prosciutto, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix the flour, chives and salt in mixer.
- Add the butter and crisco until the mixture resembles tiny pebbles.
- Add vinegar, egg and 5 tablespoons cold water.
- Stir until just combined.
- Shape the dough into 2 discs. (Freeze one for next time-it freezes perfectly.)
- Place the disc on parchment with some flour and roll out.
- Press into a deep dish quiche pan with removable bottom.
- Melt butter and add leeks.
- Cook about 8 mins.
- In a bowl make the custard by mixing cream and eggs.
- Stir in cooled off leeks, cheese, salt/pepper, pesto, prosciutto.
- Pour this into the crust.
- Cover loosely with nonstick foil and bake 45 mins.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Let cool 10 mins and cut into slices.
- Goes well with a nice salad!