This is a fancy little side dish that is actually a lot easier to make than one may think! It just takes a little prep as far as slicing the potatoes and making the white sauce. The rest is simple. You can use a mandolin to slice the potatoes but I am a scaredy cat and don’t own one! I just sliced them by hand. I used prosciutto but you can also use ham as the original recipe calls for. We just prefer prosciutto in my house. I hope you try out these scalloped potatoes with prosciutto and enjoy them!
Scalloped Potatoes with Prosciutto
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 cups milk
- 4 ounces prosciutto, chopped
- 1½ pounds red potatoes, sliced ¼-inch-thick
- 1½ cups shredded Gruyere
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onions and sauté 4 mins.
- Add the flour and stir until combined.
- Cook 2 minutes to cook out the flour.
- Add the garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and mustard powder.
- Whisk in the milk.
- Let cook to thicken for 3 mins.
- Remove heat.
- Sprinkle some prosciutto in bottom of pan.
- Top with overlapping potatoes then sauce.
- You will repeat this making 3 layers and ending with sauce.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and cover with foil.
- Bake 60 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove foil and spoon off the visible grease.
- Return to oven uncovered for about 10 minutes to brown the top.
- Sprinkle with scallions!
Adapted from Damaris Phillips
Leave a Reply