Skillet Brown Butter Cornbread
After making FOUR cornbreads this week and taste testing them, we have a winner! A very clear cut winner at that! Skillet Brown Butter Cornbread is the perfect side dish for any dinner calling for comfort food. Slather on some butter or jam! Heating the cast iron in the oven is key in this recipe. Once you add the butter it will sizzle and brown making the perfect are to lay your batter! I used a 10 inch cast iron which made a nice, thick corn bread.
Here is a photo of one of our taste tests! The winning recipe is on the right!
- 1 ¼ c. yellow cornmeal
- 1 ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- 4 T. sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 c. buttermilk
- ¾ c. whole milk
- 4 T. butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees with a 10 inch cast iron skillet in it.
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a measuring cup, whisk egg, milk and buttermilk.
- Stir the wet into the dry ingredients.
- Carefully remove the HOT skillet and add the butter, letting it melt. (will sizzle and brown)
- Pour in the batter and bake 23-27 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and it is golden.