This is a clear winner in the slow cooker dinner world!
THIS slow cooker because you can brown the meat and onions right in it!! Amazing!
This brisket (below) was seared in a large cast iron deep skillet on the stovetop. Then I added the liquids in the recipe, covered it tightly and cooked it in the oven at 300 degrees for 6 hours until it reached 211 internal temp. It was perfect!
Slow Cooker Brisket With Caramelized Onions
- 5 pounds brisket
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 9 garlic cloves minced
- kosher salt/pepper
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce (Or gluten free Tamari which I used)
- salt to taste (add at the end if desired)
- Heat 1 T. oil in a pan and sauté the onions on medium low for about 20 minutes or until caramelized.
- Season the brisket generously with salt/pepper.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a heavy bottom pot and sear the brisket on both sides to brown to a golden crust.
- Sprinkle the garlic over the brisket and lay it in the crockpot, fatty side up.
- Pile the onions on top of the meat.
- Mix broth with 2 sauces and pour over the meat.
- Cook on high 4 hours, then low for 8 hours.
- Remove slice across the grain. Should fall apart! Mmmm!
- Serve with the gravy created in the crockpot!
- Slice against the grain.
- Excellent served with roasted carrots and potatoes!
Adapted from the Kitchn
Thanks for showing the crockpot that browns! I’ve been using a fryer ! Brown, then turned to low for hrs! (Been doing this for 45 yrs!!)