Mom’s Matzoh Ball Soup
This is it. The real deal. My mom’s matzoh ball soup and this is as good as it gets! Hands down! The best! I was so happy when I tried to replicate it and it tasted exactly like hers! Now you can too! This is what we call Jewish Penicillin as it cures all!
Some days I like to add some noodles, too! Just boil them up and toss them right in!
You may need:
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 5-6 cups water
- 4-5 peeled carrots
- 2 stalks celery, ends trimmed
- 1 onion, peeled but leave one layer skin on and do not cut
- 2 T. kosher salt
- handful fresh dill (and more reserved for the end)
- 2 T.chicken fat, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½c. matzoh meal
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 T of your soup
- Place all in large pot.
- Cover and bring to boil.
- Lower to a simmer and cook 90 mins.
- Remove onion after 20 mins and discard.
- When done, remove chicken immediately.
- Once cool, discard skin and take off the chicken.
- Cut into bite sized pieces and add back into the soup.
- Add some fresh dill, chopped to the soup.
- Mix chicken fat and eggs.
- Add matzoh meal and salt.
- Add soup.
- Cover and chill 20 mins.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Form matzoh balls and add to water.
- Cover and keep at a high simmer.
- Cook 40 mins.
- Remove and place into the soup.