All Butter Pie Crust
This is the crust of all pie crusts! Go the extra length and get your hands on Plugra unsalted butter to create the flakiest layers possible. You will impress your friends and family with this recipe. You may also love Blueberry Peach Pie.
You may need:
- 20 Tablespoons butter (Plugra unsalted is recommended for flakiest crust)
- 3 c. flour
- 2 T. sugar
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ½ c. ice water (plus a few extra tablespoons in case needed)
- Egg wash
- 1 egg mixed with 2 tsp. water
- Cut 10 T. butter into tiny cubes and 10 T. into slices or pats of butter. Chill both in separate bowls.
- Add flour, sugar, salt to a bowl and combine with hands.
- Add in the diced butter cubes and press them into the flour to create coarse crumbs with your hands.
- Once combined, add the larger "pats" of butter and flatten with fingers to coat them with flour. These pieces will stay large to create flaky layers.
- Slowly add water and mix with hands until dough starts to come together. Once it holds together, dump onto work surface and use hands to mold it into a circle. Wrap in plastic and chill 1-2 hours.
- Unwrap dough on a floured surface and dust top with flour. Cut dough in half and stack on top of each other. Cut in half again and stack so you have 4 layers stacked. Use a french rolling pin to slightly bang on the dough. Use hands to mold back into a circle. Roll out to 1½ inches thick. Cut in half and make each one a circle.
- Chill each crust 1-2 hours.
- Roll out according to recipe you are using for your pie.