The tart crust on this recipe is soooo good that you may be tempted to eat them all before you even fill them! But don’t!!! Adding the bananas and homemade caramel makes them even more worth the wait! And of course, let’s not forget the whipped cream! Use any kind you like but of course, homemade is hard to beat!!! The crust is made from Nilla wafer cookies! Add some butter, crush them up and bake them into the most delicious little tarts!!! I used these cute little mini tart pans but you can also make one large tart by using a 9 inch tart pan!
Banana Caramel Mini Tarts
- 1 ⅓ c. crushed nilla wafers
- 2 T. sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 5 T. salted butter melted
- 3 large bananas sliced on a diagonal
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp water
- ¼ cup salted butter cut into Tablespoon pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ tsp Maldon salt optional
- Mix all and press into 3 mini tart pans with removable bottoms. (Or use one 9 inch pan)
- Bake at 350 10-14 mins and cool. Tarts should be lightly browned.
- In a heavy-bottomed large pot, combine sugar and water.
- Put heat on medium high and let sugar melt.
- Stir to help sugar along.
- Once dissolved, stop stirring and let it come to a boil.
- Boil until the sugar is dark amber in color and swirl pot now and again to help it cook evenly.
- Once the sugar is amber add the butter and stir to melt it.
- Remove heat and slowly/carefully pour in the cream.
- Keep stirring until smooth.
- Pour in a glass measuring cup or jar to let cool.
- Add salt if using.
- Let cool to room temp.
- Remove tarts from pans carefully.
- Fill with sliced bananas.
- Pour or drizzle on caramel.
- Top with whipped cream!
Crust adapted from Jim Fobel