1. Click here for the caramel popcorn recipe! (Can be made a day ahead and stored in a ziploc bag.)
2. Bottom Layer Milk Chocolate Ganache:
8 ounces chopped milk chocolate
Heat cream in the microwave just under a boil. Pour over the chocolate and stir to combine. Pour into the bottom of your trifle dish and chill.
1 2/3 cups heavy cream (WARM IT IN THE MICROWAVE FIRST)
2 Tbsp salted butter
3/4 tsp coarse sea salt
Method to make the caramel sauce:
1. Spread the sugar in an even layer in a large metal pot, at least 6 quarts. Set over a moderate heat and cook without stirring, until the sugar near the edge just starts to liquify.
2. Use a wooden spoon and begin stirring, encouraging the melted sugar around the edges toward the center, delicately stirring up any sugar melting on the bottom as well. The sugar will start to look pebbly as it cooks, but keep going until it is melted completely and an amber color. If you think it is cooking too fast, lower the heat and keep stirring. Be patient.
3. Continue to cook until the sugar turns deep brown. Once brown, take it off of the heat!!!!
4. Time to add the cream but here is my trick….only add a DROP at a time and stir, stir, stir. This will eliminate the seizing of your caramel and you will love me for this trick. Keep adding a drop at a time and stirring until all of the cream is mixed in. Be patient…you have a lot of cream so this will take a few minutes. Once smooth, add butter and salt. Let cool. Makes 2 cups
4. Panna Cotta:
1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
2 cups heavy cream