FANCY 3 CHEESE MACARONI WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS & BACON!!!
- 4 cups of partially cooked macaroni (don't cook all the way) (I used gluten free pasta-worked like a charm)
- 8 Tablespoons salted Butter
- 2 whole Medium Onions, Cut In Half And Sliced Thin
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- ½ cup Half-and-half
- 2 whole Egg Yolks, Beaten
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- ½ cup Grated Gruyere Cheese
- ½ cup Grated Fontina Cheese
- ½ cup Pecorino Romano Cheese
- 3 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled for garnish
- 1 chopped scallion, garnish
- Preparation Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet and then saute onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown and soft. Set aside.
- In a pot, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle in corn starch and whisk to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 1 minute. Pour in milk and half & half, then cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until thick. Reduce heat to low. Add generous salt & pepper to taste.
- Beat egg yolks and drizzle ¼ cup hot mixture into the yolks, stirring constantly. Stir to combine. Pour egg mixture into sauce and cook for another minute.
- Add cheeses and stir until melted. Add onions and stir. Taste for seasonings and add more salt if needed. Add cooked macaroni and stir to coat.
- Pour into a baking dish and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until sizzling and hot. Sprinkle with bacon and scallions.
- Recipe adapted from Pioneer Woman
Laurie Alves says
Absolutely delectable! Love it! Shared it on my FB page! Food is Love
thanks so much!!!
Sounds wonderful! Too bad the recipe is not printable.
Hugs & Cookies xoxo says
Try it now-I fixed it for you!