This is a very unique cake. A magic custard cake begins pretty much with a basic cake batter and transforms it literally into a magical cake with a custard layer. If you love any sort of custard or flan, then this cake it for you!!!! (There is also a chocolate version!) Anddddd please check out my latest version….with strawberries!!!
You will need:
- 4 eggs (whites separated from yolks), room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sugar
- 8 Tablespoons butter, melted
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk lukewarm
- powdered sugar for dusting cake
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees. Grease and Line 8 inch x 8 inch baking dish with parchment.
- Separate eggs and add the egg whites to a mixer and beat egg whites stiff. Place egg whites in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks & sugar until light. Add butter and vanilla. Beat for two mins. Add the flour and mix it in until fully incorporated.
- Slowly start adding the milk and beat until everything is well mixed together. Add the egg whites, a third at a time and gently fold them in using a spatula, repeat until all egg whites are folded in. Pour batter into baking dish and bake for approx 60 minutes or until the top is lightly golden. Cool and dust heavily with powdered sugar.
Click HERE for the Chocolate Version!
adapted from best yummy recipes