This is another fabulous recipe from Jim Fobel’s Old Fashioned Baking Book-this is a book you NEED in your life!
Orange Fluff Cake
- 1 ½ cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- ⅓ cup strained fresh orange juice
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Preheat to 350˚F.
- You will need an ungreased 10-inch tube cake pan with a removable bottom or angel food pan.
- (Do not use a nonstick surface.)
- Sift the flour, ½ cup sugar, the baking powder and salt into a medium-sized bowl.
- Make a well in center and add the melted butter, orange zest, orange juice, egg yolks and vanilla. Beat until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a mixer, whip egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peaks.
- Slowly beat in the remaining ½ cup sugar and continue to beat until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Stir a large blob of whites into the batter.
- Then fold in the remaining egg whites until even in color.
- Spread in pan and bake 1 hour. Note-mine was done in about 30 minutes so watch it closely! Immediately invert and let the cake hang upside down until completely cool.
- Turn right side up and run a sharp knife around the edge to separate the cake from the pan. Remove sides.
- Run a knife around the center tube and under the cake; remove the pan bottom.
- Turn the cake right side up on your serving plate.
- In a bowl, stir confectioners’ sugar, orange zest, and orange juice until smooth. Poure over the cake.