Oreo cookie lovers, this one is for you but it is a cake recipe! A triple layer chocolate cake (with a fabulous cake batter), filled with a delicious butter cream frosting with an outrageous flavor. Top it off with chocolate ganache, oreos and oreo candy bars for the crumbs at the bottom! The candy bars were a new find in the store for us. If you can’t find them, just chop up some oreos very finely and sprinkle them along the bottom of your cake! This frosting was adapted from Life, Love, and Sugar and is easily made in your stand mixer. I frosted the cake using a large offset spatula. It was easy to pipe beautiful swirls with the remaining frosting. Oreo cookie crumbs would look nice on top, too. I used whole cookies but you could add cookie pieces across the middle of the cake and on the edges. This cake is best served at room temperature but can be stored in the refrigerator with plastic wrap or in an airtight container to keep it fresh. Oreo cakes are always a huge hit, try this soon!
Just look at he beautiful texture of the layers.
You May Need:
- ¾ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons soft butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1½ cups butter
- 1½ cups shortening
- 9 cups powdered sugar
- 1½ T. vanilla
- 7-8 T. milk
- Oreos for the top
- crushed oreo candy bars for the bottom
- 9 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spray 3 8-inch round baking pans with pam, line bottoms with parchment paper, grease again and set aside.
- In small bowl combine cocoa and boiling water with a whisk until smooth. Cool.
- In medium bowl stir together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time and vanilla.
- Slowly add the cocoa mix.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mix, then the milk. Then ⅓ of flour and the sour cream. Then, add the past of the flour.
- Mix well and divide into the pans.
- Bake 28-30 mins until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and pop out of pans. Remove parchment . (cool and at this point you can freeze)
- Beat all gradually on low to combine.
- Then increase mixer speed and whip till fluffy.
- Heat cream just to a boil.
- Pour over chips.
- Let sit one minute then stir smooth
- Spread frosting between cake layers.
- Use extra to frost outside of the cake.
- Decorate with the glaze by pouring it on sides to drizzle down and fill in entire top center.
- Pipe on flowers and garnish with Oreos.
- **May need to make and extra half batch of frosting for decorating and final coat depending how much you use on your layers.
As an alternative, you can frost the cake as outlined above and then pour on this MIRROR GLAZE.