Apple Pie That is....TO DIE FOR!
- CRUST: adapted from Ina Garten
- 12 tablespoons 1 1/2 sticks very cold butter
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ⅓ cup very cold crisco
- 6 to 8 tablespoons about 1/2 cup ice water
- Filling Recipe:
- 5 CUPS SLICED & PEELED APPLES I used Honeycrisp & Gingergold
- 1 C. LIGHT BROWN SUGAR
- 6 TABLESPOONS CORNSTARCH
- 1 TSP. CINNAMON
- ¼ TSP. SALT
- 1 TABLESPOON DICED BUTTER
- Dice the butter and return it to the refrigerator while you prepare the flour mixture. Place the flour, salt, And sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse a few times to mix. Add the butter and shortening. Pulse 8 to 12 times, until the butter is the size of peas. With the machine running, pour the ice water down the feed tube and pulse the machine until the dough begins to form a ball. Dump out on a floured board and roll into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Cut the dough in half. Roll each piece on a well-floured board into a circle, rolling from the center to the edge, turning and flouring the dough to make sure it doesn't stick to the board. Fold the dough in half, place in a pie pan, and unfold to fit the pan. Repeat with the top crust after filling.
- PRESS FIRST CRUST INTO PAN. MIX ALL FILLING INGREDIENTS WELL AND POUR INTO CRUST. DOT WITH BUTTER. TOP WITH SECOND CRUST. FLUTE SIDES-CUT SOME SLITS. BRUSH WITH 1 BEATEN EGG AND SPRINKLE WITH COARSE SUGAR. BAKE AT 425 FOR 25 MINUTES AND THEN AT 350 FOR 40 MORE MINUTES! SERVE WITH VANILLA or DULCE DE LECHE ICE CREAM AND WHIPPED CREAM!