Cherry lovers will go crazy for this black forest cupcake topped with chocolate frosting! The graham cracker crust is the perfect complement to the sweet, chocolate cupcake! You could always keep the cherry center a surprise for your lucky guests!
Black Forest Stuffed Cupcakes
- 1⅓ cup graham crackers crumbs
- 5 Tablespoon sugar
- 5 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons Hershey's Cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 large egg-lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 6 ounces milk chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Up to 2 cups sifted powdered sugar optional (read below)
- Preheat the oven to 325 F
- Line cupcake tins with 16 cupcake liners.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter..
- Divide among the cupcake liners and press down for the crust.
- Bake 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine cocoa, sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add oil, milk, egg, and vanilla.
- Beat on medium and add boiling water.
- Divide into the muffin tins on top of the crusts.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Use a small knife and cut a small piece out of the top center of each cupcake making room for the cherries.
- Spoon in some cherries and place the little piece of cupcake back on top..
- Heat the cream just to a boil and pour over chocolate.
- Let sit 2 minutes then stir.
- Let mixture cool to room temp and then pop in fridge to set up.
- If you wait long enough it will be thick enough to spread.
- I was short on time so I added powdered sugar to thicken it faster and whipped it in the mixer.
- This frosting will be very sweet with the powdered sugar so if you want it less sweet, take the time to let the ganache firm up on its own and then just spread/whip it!
Adapted from OMG Chocolate Desserts