Sausage Broccoli Pie
This is an amazing dinner that the whole family loves. I used a homemade crust but you could easily use a store bought one or even use frozen deep dish shells to make it easier. The filling is a lovely combo of cheeses, eggs, broccoli. and sweet italian sausage. To see a version with a closed top crust check out this Broccoli Sausage Cheese Pie.
You may need:
Broccoli Sausage Pie
- 4 C. flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 T. shortening
- 2 T. butter
- 4 eggs
- ½ C. plus 2T. water
- 1 pack sweet Italian sausage casing removed and sausage fried
- 2 broccoli heads blanched 2 mins and chopped
- 16 ounces shredded cheese I like mozzarella and provolone
- 5 eggs plus one additional egg white
- 6 egg whites
- 10 ounces ricotta cheese
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 yolk for egg wash
- In mixer, whisk first 3 ingredients. Add in crisco and butter.
- Add eggs and slowly add the water making a dough.
- Form two disks, one larger than the other and let rest covered on counter 20 mins.
- Combine eggs, egg white, cheese, ricotta, salt/pepper.
- Stir in sausage and broccoli.
- Preheat oven 375.
- Roll out larger dish and lay in greased 9x13 dish leaving 1 inch overhang.
- Pour in filling.
- Roll out the second disk of dough and cut lattice strips laying on top of filling.
- Brush with egg yolk and bake 45-55 mins.