Oooh these caramel butter shortbread bars are everything they claim to be and more! Caramel flavor? Check! Buttery base and crumb topping? Check! Easy to make? Check! It is another month of Two Sweetie Pies where Liz and I from That Skinny Chick Can Bake share a recipe from each other’s blog. We keep it a secret from each other until reveal day….which is TODAY! Her recipes are always amazing. Visit her and you’ll be glad you did!
Visit Liz also at:
Liz filled her beautiful crumb bars with a delicious caramel sauce. I did not have that on hand but I did have this absolutely incredible slab of pure, scrumptious caramel! Just look at this hunk of perfect caramel from Chocoley!
Chocoley Caramel-also perfect for caramel apples!
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- For the Filling:
- ½ cup premium jarred caramel sauce (I used Chocoley Caramel and melted down a piece to equal this amount)
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Beat butter and sugars.
- Add the vanilla.
- Add flour until well combined.
- Line a 8 x 8-inch pan with non-stick foil.
- Press one-third of the dough into the bottom of pan.
- Put the rest of the dough in the refrigerator while crust is baking.
- Bake crust until slightly golden, about 20 minutes.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over crust and let sit for a few minutes before using an offset spatula to carefully spread over the surface.
- Crumble the reserved dough over the caramel.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake until the filling is bubbly and the crumbled shortbread topping is firm, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting into squares.
YUM! Make that a double yum!!! You made me want to make these again ASAP!! xoxo
Liz recently posted…Cheesecake Stuffed Chocolate Bundt Cake #TwoSweetiePies
Trudy Levasseur says
Hi: Just wondering if it is just me or are the directions missing a step. The pics show multiple layers. They first step is 1/3 of the crumbs, but then it says put remaining on top. Is that the remaining 2/3 or is it 1/3, 1/3 and 1/3? Could you let me know, please as I’d like to make these for my family for Easter. Thank you so much and love all your recipes!
Hugs & Cookies xoxo says
it is 1/3 crumbs, then comes the caramel and then all of the rest of the crumbs! Enjoy!!!