This chocolate caramel walnut tart quite extraordinary! It is a copycat of a fabulous dessert we had in a restaurant. Ask me if I normally like walnuts and I’d say no. Ask me how they were in this dessert and I’d say amazing! They are toasted which is totally the key to making them taste like candy! You can skip them if you want, but I think you will love them! The caramel for this was fabulous, as well. I took a shortcut and used a pound of caramel from Chocoley! It tastes like you slaved over your stove spinning your own sugar. And, it sets up perfectly in this tart! Can’t wait to use their caramel in some more treats!
9 inch tart pan with removable bottom
Caramel Chocolate Toasted Walnut Tart
Tart Crust (adapted from Saveur)
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces, at room temperature
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 egg yolks, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 pound Chocoley caramel, melted by package directions
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces semi sweet chocolate bar (Ghirardelli!)
- Heat oven to 350º.
- In a mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add yolks and vanilla.
- Stir in the dry ingredients.
- Press the dough into the bottom and sides of a 9 inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- Chill 30 minutes.
- Prick bottom with fork and bake 20 minutes.
- While tart bakes, heat walnuts in a dry frying pan over med/low heat. Cook until fragrant and toasted. Let cool. Sprinkle over the cookie crust.
- Pour hot caramel into tart and let set.
- Heat cream in microwave just to a boil.
- Pour over the chocolate.
- Sit 1 min, then whisk smooth.
- Pour over the caramel layer.
- Pop in fridge a few hours to firm up!
Leave a Reply