Once refrigerated this is a very dense fudge like cake. Serious chocolate lovers will be in heaven! This recipe comes from Ina’s new book, Make it Ahead!
Chocolate Ganache Cake
- 19 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into pieces, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free flour Ina used Cup 4 Cup gluten-free flour
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 eggs extra-large, at room temperature, separated
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ice cream coffee or vanilla, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Grease an 8-inch spring-form pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Place the one pound of chocolate in a large heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water and stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted.
- Off the heat, immediately stir in the butter, flour, sugar, and salt with a rubber spatula.
- Whisk in the egg yolks until smooth.
- Put egg whites in mixer and beat until they form soft peaks.
- Scrape the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and fold them in very carefully with a rubber spatula, just until combined.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and bake for 15 minutes exactly. (Make sure oven is accurate-next time I will bake it 13 minutes!)
- Turn the oven off and leave the cake in the oven, cracking the door open a bit.
- Let cake cool in the oven for 1 hour.
- The cake will sink in the middle.
- Remove sides of pan and place cake on your cake stand.
- Put 3 ounces of chocolate and the heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl and heat gently until it is melted and smooth.
- Pour this into the center of the cake.
- Allow to cool and serve warm or at room temperature with a scoop of ice cream. I stored mine in the fridge. We liked it better cold.