This chocolate toffee layer cake was such a hit but the best part was how simple it was! It came together so easily let looks like you spent a day working on it. I would recommend making the cake a day in advance and popping the layers in the freezer. This helps with the ease of decorating and also the amount of time needed. The genius inspiration for this cake and the buttercream frosting comes from I Am Baker! Pay her a visit-you will be thrilled that you did!
Chocolate Toffee Layer Cake
- ¾ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons soft butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups butter at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch table salt
- 3 Heath Bars cut in half
- 1 bag heath toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spray 3 8-inch round baking pans with pam, line bottoms with parchment paper, grease again and set aside.
- In small bowl combine cocoa and boiling water with a whisk until smooth. Cool.
- In medium bowl stir together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time and vanilla.
- Slowly add the cocoa mix.
- Add ⅓ of the flour mix, then the milk. Then ⅓ of flour and the sour cream. Then, add the past of the flour.
- Mix well and divide into the pans.
- Bake 28-30 mins until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and pop out of pans. Remove parchment . (cool and at this point you can freeze)
- Beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed 5 mins.
- Add cocoa powder, vanilla and salt.
- Add heavy cream a little at a time.
- On high, beat 3-5 minutes or until mixture is fluffy.
- Lay one layer on cake plate.
- Pipe on 1/3 the frosting. Sprinkle on heath.
- Top with second layer.
- Pipe on 1/3 of frosting. Sprinkle with heath.
- Top with third layer and pipe on the rest. Decorate with candies.
Cake layers adapted from my friend Vera at OMG Chocolate Desserts!