Why today for sugar cookies? Because sugar cookies are not just for Christmas! I have used the same sugar cookie recipe for about 10 years. Loved it, used it for holidays, birthdays, occasions and it always made us smile! But…..I think we have a new favorite. Shhhh, don’t tell our original cookie, I feel kinda bad. This cookie recipe comes from Sally’s Baking Addiction. Do you know her blog? Here it is! You can also check out her cookbooks! I own and adore them both! The first one is Sally’s baking Addiction and the second Sally’s Candy Addiction. Both adorable in their own right! So give these cookies a try! I will be making them again for Valentine’s with my little boys. They still love to bake cookies and decorate them! Of course, I now they really just want to eat the candy but it sure is fun along the way!
- ¾ cup salted butter, soft
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 and ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Beat butter smooth.
- Add sugar until fluffy, 3 mins.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt on low just until combined.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions and roll each on parchment to ¼ inch thickness.
- Lay in the fridge on a cookie sheet for 1 hour.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut shapes and re-roll the scraps.
- Bake at 350 on parchment lined sheets for 9-12 minutes depending on the size you make the cookies.
- Cool completely.
- Decorate with royal icing and candies!
You can grab my Royal Icing recipe here which is what I used for decorating! You can also checkout my other favorite sugar cookie recipe there!