Piano Layer Cake
This was made with love for Valentine’s Dad for my mom, a phenomenal piano player! You may also love Kit Kat Cookies.
You may need:
Piano Layer Cake
Cake (This makes one 9x13 cake.) For a double layer like this piano cake, make this recipe twice or double and divide between 2 pans.)
- 1¾ c. flour
- ¾ cup unsweet. cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup canola
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 6 sticks butter, room temp
- 1½c. sifted cocoa powder, unsweetened
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 7½c. powdered sugar
- ¾c. heavy cream
- 12 ounces melted chocolate, cooled (I used Ghirardelli bars)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line 9x13 pan with nonstick foi.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda into a large bowl.
- Add sugar and salt.
- Whisk in eggs, milk, oil and vanilla by hand.
- Add water.
- Pour into pan and bake approx 35-38 mins until cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool -then freeze so frosting the layers will be easier.
- If making 2 layers, time very edge of cakes around all 4 sides. Layer the cakes with frosting between apply a crumb coat, chill and then frost the entire cake.
Frosting (This is enough for a two layer cake.)
- Beat butter until creamy.
- Add cocoa and salt.
- Add powdered sugar alternating with cream.
- Pour in chocolate last on low until blended.
- Finish by mixing with rubber spatula to remove air bubbles.
- Once frosted use extra to pipe a ruffles around the edges. I used a 1M tip.
- Lay white Kitkat bars across the top.
- Trim a bit off the chocolate ones and lay on top.
- I used a drop of meted chocolate to secure the chocolate bars on top of the white.
- Top with a chocolate rose!
Cake adapted from Recipe Tin
I have to ask where you found the full size white Kit Kat’s?? I’ve looked at a couple stores and they only have the mini. Thanks!
Hugs & Cookies xoxo says
Hi! I believe it was a Rite Aid store.