Quick Yeast Rolls
This recipe came from All Recipes and although I did need more flour than the original, these were a big hit with my kids so I would make them again! They were also very easy to work with! My son enjoyed his sliced with scrambled eggs on it. An addition of bacon and cheese would be perfect but with picky kids, what can you do! You may also love Ham and Cheese Party Rolls!
- 2 T. shortening
- 3 T sugar
- 1 c. hot water
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast (I used instant with great results)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 ¼ c. flour (Plus ½ c. more if you need it-I did)
- 2 T. melted butter
- In a large bowl, whisk the shortening, sugar, and hot water.
- Let cool to lukewarm, and mix in the yeast until dissolved.
- Mix in the egg, salt, and flour.
- Place in oiled bowl and let rise 1 hour until doubled-I used proof setting on my oven. I sprayed plastic wrap with pam and covered bowl.
- Grease 8 inch cake pan.
- Divide the dough into balls on a floured service and place in pan. (They will be very sticky! Add only enough flour to work with it, you don't want to add too much.)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Bake for 18-20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a roll comes out clean.
- Brush with melted butter and a sprinkle of kosher salt. (or pink himalayan salt!)
adapted from All Recipes