The secret ingredient here is just like in my secret ingredient chocolate chip cookies…..CREAM CHEESE! There are many recipes like this floating around on Pinterest. Each one changes an ingredient or 2, so I took a chance and made my own version of this popular crockpot dish. I admit, I was skeptical at first! The sauce seemed to almost look broken as it cooked. BUT, hang in there because at the end, after a stir, this was the most amazing and creamy chicken! This is definitely a WOW dinner. I shredded the chicken off the bone at the end and poured the sauce over it. This made a lot of sauce…. enough to use as a sauce over pasta for this dish. Next time I make this I will keep the sauce as is and use 4 pounds of chicken. If you want lots of sauce, keep it as is! I hope your family loves this one as much as mine did!
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, bone in and skin on (Use 4 lbs if you want less sauce for pasta)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temp cut in cubes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 package Ranch Dressing Mix (You are using the dry mix in this recipe!)
- chives, for garnish
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled for garnish (I forgot to add this!!!!!! Next time for sure!!!)
- Lay the chicken in the crockpot.
- Pour in the chicken broth.
- Sprinkle on the ranch dressing mix powder.
- Top with cubes of cream cheese.
- Cook on high 4 hours. I stirred mine every hour or so to help the sauce along and combine the cream cheese into the sauce. Don;t be worried if sauce looks funky, it will come together in the end!
- Remove from sauce and shred chicken, discarding skin/bones.
- Pour sauce over chicken and top with chives ad bacon crumbles.