Chocolate Overload Cake
If you want to garnish with some of the goodies I used, check out these recipes:
- 2½c. flour plus 2T.
- 1 cup plus 2 T. cocoa powder
- 2¼ tsp. baking powder
- 2¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 1½c. milk
- 3 eggs
- ¾c. oil
- 1 T. vanilla
- 1½c. boiling water
- 6 sticks butter, room temp
- 1½c. sifted cocoa powder, unsweetened
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 7½c. powdered sugar
- ¾c. heavy cream
- 12 ounces melted chocolate, cooled (I used Ghirardelli bars)
- ½c. heavy cream
- ½c. chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray three 8 inch pans with pam, line with parchment and spray again.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt., sugar.
- Whisk to combine.
- Add milk, eggs, oil, vanilla and blend.
- Add water until smooth.
- Divide evenly into 3 pans. I used a food scale and each pan had 1 lb, 8 ounces batter.
- Bake 35-40 mins until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 10 mins. Flip out onto parchment and freeze layers until ready to frost.
- Beat butter until creamy.
- Add cocoa and salt.
- Add powdered sugar alternating with cream.
- Pour in chocolate last on low until blended.
- Finish by mixing with rubber spatula to remove air bubbles.
- Stack the layers with buttercream in between and apply a thin crumb coat to trap crumbs. Chill 1 hour. Apply rest of frosting for your second coat. You will have extra for decorations. I save any extras for cupcakes.
- Heat cream in microwave safe dish until simmering.
- Add chips and let sit 2 mins.
- Stir smooth.
- Pop in fridge about 10 mins.
- Pour into squeeze bottle and drip down the sides of your cold frosted cake.
*NOTE: This cake can also be baked in two 9 inch cake pans for approx 40 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cake adapted from Recipetineats
Frosting adapted from ChelSweets